Whether you own your home or rent your space, being safe while eating outdoors is crucial. As the nice weather continues through the summer and fall, there are many opportunities to get outside and cook with family and friends. While eating outdoors can be fun, you must practice safe food handling to avoid foodborne illnesses during warm weather months. Our agents at The Peterson Agency are here to give you tips on keeping you and your loved ones safe this summer.
Safe Food Handling Tips
There are several aspects to safe food handling, depending on the part of your food preparation process. Follow these guidelines to protect yourself best, friends and family from foodborne illnesses while eating outdoors:
· Use coolers for food that needs to stay cold. Cold food should be stored at 40 degrees F or below to prevent bacterial growth.
· Keep coolers closed. By limiting the number of times, you open the cooler during your get-together, you help keep the content of the cooler cold.
· Clean your produce. Before packing your cooler, rinse your fruits and vegetables and dry them with a clean towel or cloth.
· Bring clean utensils and serving dishes. It can even be a good idea to bring disposable items for cleanliness.
· Prepare a way to clean your hands outdoors. If you don’t have access to running water, consider using moist towelettes for cleaning your hands.
· Cook food thoroughly. Have a food thermometer to ensure you’re cooking food to its safest temperature for consumption.
· Keep the prepared food hot. Food that’s grilled can be moved to the side of the grill rack away from the coals. This allows the food to stay hot but prevents it from further cooking.
· Do not reuse platters or utensils. Using a previous platter or utensil that held raw meat, poultry or seafood allows bacteria from the raw food to spread to the cooked food. Instead, use a clean platter to serve food.
· Cool and refrigerate leftovers immediately. Avoid leaving food out for long periods. If food is left out, dispose of it.
Learn More About Safe Food Handling
At The Peterson Agency, we want to best prepare you for your summer fun while staying safe. No matter the location or home you’re hosting from, it’s crucial to practice secure food handling. To learn more tips or get started with further coverage for the space you call home, contact us today.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please get in touch with your insurance professional for further information.